Under the supervision of the Nursing supervisor and/or the Administrator, the certified nursing aide performs various resident care activities and related non-professional services necessary in caring for the personal needs, hygiene care and comfort of the residents.
Essential Position Functions
- Provide assistance to assigned residents with the activities of daily living in accordance with the residents individualized service plan. Such responsibilities shall include assistance with dressing, bathing, personal hygiene, toileting, ambulating, transferring, eating, medication, monitory/assistance, and social reassurance.
- Report all unusual or unexpected resident conditions and reactions to supervisor.
- Respond to emergency call alerts in accordance with facility policies.
- Assist with dietary, housekeeping, laundry and activity departmental activities as assigned.
- Assist with ongoing service plans as directed.
- Document, on a daily basis, as to resident assistance activities and resident status in accordance with facility policy.
- Fulfills the following responsibilities:
- Receives report and assignment when coming on duty and gives report on assigned residents when going off duty.
- Attend General Orientation and PCA Training classes. Also works with Training PCA during On-Duty Orientation.
- Is aware of resident needs for social and psychological support.
- Is aware of and adheres to Resident’s Bill of Rights and confidentiality of resident information.
- Is aware of Resident Abuse Reporting Law.
- Attend mandatory in-service training programs.
- Knows his/her Assigned Supervisor and addresses personnel concerns to that Supervisor. Also utilizes periodic Performance Review Conferences with Assigned Supervisor to evaluate and improve performance.
- Is flexible in accepting changes in duty and assignment.
- Maintain a safe working environment and adhere to facility safety program at all times.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
In accordance with the minimum necessary standards, workforce member may only access Protected Health Information (PHI) to perform specific position duties as listed in the position description. In accordance with the minimum necessary standard this workforce member will be authorized to have access to: Resident Name, Demographics and Scheduling Information Only.
Summary of Qualifications:
Able to perform each of the essential position functions. Applicants for this position must meet one of the following conditions:
- Must be certified and provide documentation indicating successful completion of a Basic Nursing Assistant Training Program and Competency Exam.
- Enroll in an approved CNA Training Program within 45 days of employment. Successfully complete the program and Competency Exam in 120 days unless in a community college or other educational institution on a term, semester or trimester basis.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Complete at least eight years of grade school or provide proof of equivalent knowledge. High School graduates are preferred.
- Be able to read, speak and understand the English language or a language understood by a substantial percentage of the facility’s residents.
- Provide evidence of employment or occupation, if any, and residence for two years prior to initial employment as a nursing assistant.
- Must be able to perform each of the essential position functions and meet health assessment requirements including a two-step mantoux skin test.
- Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Must be able to follow oral and written directions and work independently in the absence of supervision.